On the occasion of the birth centenary of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, the then Prime Minister of India, Shri Chandra Shekhar has expressed his views about Dr. Ambedkar. – Chandra Shekhar on Ambedkar
Shri Chandra Shekhar (17 April 1927 – 8 July 2007) was an Indian politician who served as the 8th Prime Minister of India, between 10 November 1990 and 21 June 1991. He was the first Indian Prime Minister who had never held any prior government office. When the 100th birth anniversary of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar was being celebrated across the country, he was the PM of India.
The period from 14 April 1990 to 14 April 1991 was observed as the “Year of Social Justice” in the memory of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar by the Government of India. On 14 April 1991, the birth centenary (100th birth anniversary) of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar was celebrated all over India. On the occasion of the birth centenary of Dr. Ambedkar, the then Prime Minister Shri Chandra Shekhar had expressed his views about him.
Chandra Shekhar on Dr Ambedkar
Then Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar wrote in his introduction to Ambedkar: The Man and his Message (1991) :
The contribution of Dr. Ambedkar in the building of modern India will long be remembered. His work as one of the prime architects of our Constitution, the bedrock upon which the Indian nation rests, is of lasting importance. The work of Dr. Ambedkar was a source of inspiration not only to his own generation but the generations which have followed.
Dr. Ambedkar’s life was a relentless struggle in the cause of the downtrodden. His sustained efforts and indomitable spirit have left their imprint on history and continue to inspire us in our present day endeavours to secure for the weaker sections their rightful place in society.
I am happy to learn that the Rajya Sabha Secretariat are publishing a commemorative volume on Dr. Ambedkar. This is a tribute worthy of a great son of India whose struggle to secure justice for the downtrodden has continued to give courage and strength to all those who stand for a more just society.
— Chandra Shekhar, the Prime Minister of India
January 2, 1991 (New Delhi)
- Source : Dr. B. R. Ambedkar — The Man and his Message : A Commemorative volume (1991)
- Views on Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar
- PM Jawaharlal Nehru’s tribute to Dr Ambedkar in Rajya Sabha
- PM Jawaharlal Nehru’s tribute to Dr Ambedkar in Lok Sabha
- Draupadi Murmu’s views on Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar (Hindi)
- 8th President R. Venkataraman’s views on Dr. Ambedkar
- Nobel Laureates’ views about Dr. Ambedkar (Hindi)
- What did Nelson Mandela say about Dr Ambedkar?
- डॉ. आंबेडकर की जन्मशताब्दी पर वाजपेयी का भाषण
- PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s views on Dr. Ambedkar (Hindi)
- Top 20 Most Viewed Personalities on Hindi Wikipedia (by year – 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022)
Articles are written on ‘Dhamma Bharat’ in Marathi, Hindi and English:
(You can also follow us on Facebook to get all the updates on Dhamma Bharat.)