Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar (1891-1956) is recognised as the “Father of the Constitution of India” due to his major contribution to the drafting of the Constitution of India. An Indian versatile scholar, Dr. Ambedkar is also known as the “Father of Republic India” or the “Father of Modern India” and the “Father of the Indian democracy”. – br ambedkar quotes on constitution
Dr. Ambedkar was one of the greatest constitutionalists in the world. He was appointed as India’s first Law and Justice Minister in Nehru’s cabinet. After listening to Babasaheb’s speech at the First Round Table Conference, Mahatma Gandhi called him “a patriot of the highest order”.
Dr. B.R. Ambedkar is one of the foremost polymaths in history, who was an expert in many subjects. He studied the constitutions of 60 countries and put an enormous amount of effort to draft the Indian Constitution which serves as the holy book of the sovereign democratic Republic of India.
The barrister Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar was entrusted with the responsibility of drafting the Indian Constitution as the Chairman of the Drafting Committee. Apart from this, Dr Ambedkar also served as a member of several committees of the Constituent Assembly, such as the Fundamental Rights Committee, the Minorities Sub-Committee, the Advisory Committee, the Flag Committee, the Federal Rights Committee, the Federal Constitution Committee and the Provincial Constitution Committee.
His contributions as the chairman of the drafting committee of the Indian Constitution was one the key milestones in the foundation of modern India.
Dr BR Ambedkar Quotes on Constitution
1. Constitution is not a mere lawyers document, it is a vehicle of Life, and its spirit is always the spirit of Age. – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
2. “However good a Constitution may be, if those who are implementing it are not good, it will prove to be bad. However bad a Constitution may be, if those implementing it are good, it will prove to be good.” – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
3. “I feel that the constitution is workable, it is flexible and it is strong enough to hold the country together both in peacetime and in wartime. Indeed, if I may say so, if things go wrong under the new Constitution, the reason will not be that we had a bad Constitution. What we will have to say is that Man was vile.” – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
4. “If I find the constitution being misused, I shall be the first to burn it.” – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
5. Constitutional morality is not a natural sentiment. It has to be cultivated. We must realise that our people have yet to learn it. Democracy in India is only a top-dressing on an Indian soil which is essentially undemocratic. – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
- Dr. Ambedkar’s Quotes on Religion (in Hindi)
6. “If I was asked to name any particular article in this Constitution as the most important — an article without which this Constitution would be a nullity — I could not refer to any other article except this one (Article 32). It is the very soul of the Constitution and the very heart of it.” – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
- Ambedkar family members photos with name
- Get to know 15+ films about Dr BR Ambedkar
- 130 Inspirational Quotes of Dr Ambedkar (in Marathi)
- 30+ Buddhist Celebrities in Bollywood, and their views on Buddhism
- The 5 Great Buddhists of the 20th Century (in Hindi)
- 20 Most Popular People on Hindi Wikipedia; Know the rank of Gandhi and Ambedkar
- Top 10 Most Popular Singers in India by Popularity Index
- Read other articles
Articles are written on ‘Dhamma Bharat’ in Marathi, Hindi and English: